Make Your Mark as a Mentor
Part of the mission of USF Women in Leadership & Philanthropy (WLP) is to teach the value of leadership and philanthropy as well as guide students who receive WLP scholarships through their journey at USF and beyond. Therefore, becoming a mentor through WLP focuses on connections between students and members that often last a lifetime. As a program, we want to provide an easy, comfortable, and convenient opportunity for WLP members to serve as a mentor and fulfill their desire to give back to USF students. For WLP scholarship recipients we want to provide connectivity to WLP members, campus leaders, and community influencers that can help guide, educate, and positively impact their personal and professional growth and development.
Purpose of the WLP Mentoring Program
To provide WLP members and student scholarship recipients the opportunity to connect and create an environment in which to learn, practice, teach, and network together to enhance the USF student experience.
Ways to be a WLP Mentor
- USF Mentoring Platform: To enhance the WLP mentoring experience, we collaborate with the USF Alumni Association to provide WLP members and scholarship recipients access to the USF Mentoring Platform. This the most convenient and easy way to be paired with a WLP scholarship recipient.
- WLP Mentoring Committee: Members may volunteer on the WLP Mentoring Committee, which serves as a conduit to connect students and WLP members through mentorship and student focused events. This committee meets only a few times a year and helps facilitate the annual WLP Raymond James Networking/Mentoring Dinner typically held at the beginning of the Spring semester.
- WLP Events: Members are encouraged to attend WLP events throughout the year, where they will be provided with the opportunity to meet USF students in the WLP scholarship program. Events hosted by WLP strive to bring students and members together to provide a space for forming special bonds that continue long after graduation.
- Establish a WLP Scholarship: Many WLP members have established named scholarships that assist USF students in reaching their educational goals. Each year, these members receive letters from the students benefitting from their scholarships and can request to connect with their WLP scholar via phone, email, or in person.
- WLP Student Council Committee: WLP members who are interested in even more active engagement with USF students can join the WLP Student Council Committee. This WLP Student Council is a leadership program for college women who build relationships and lead campus events that promote women's equity. Their main responsibility is to help plan and implement the WLP Student Symposium occurring in the Spring semester. WLP members serve on the committee as advisors to the students, supporting them by attending on-campus meetings and being a sounding board for ideas.
Rhea F. Law, USF President
The growth and success of Tampa Bay is intrinsically linked with the growth and success of USF. There is so much potential, and the future is very bright.